Dr. Lori Lynn Mann, LMFT, Psy.D
My work in private practice follows ten combined years of academic study and formal training (UCLA & Pepperdine University), however, my understanding of the human condition is based on my own life experiences. As an elite distance runner for 20 years, I plunged into physical and mental grit only to overcome by way of proactively working through even the toughest moments. As a business owner and media correspondent for ten years, I understand the grit we subject ourselves to in modern day culture. As a yogi, I understand turning an eye inward. Each of these pieces lead me to my specialization in the psychosomatic experience.
Who I Work With:
I work with individuals, couples, families, and groups. I also conduct individuals therapy for children and teens, working with child & adolescent issues, family transitions/life transitions, and emotional turmoil/behavior changes that are activated by way of such transition.
(pre-marital, post-marital, & intimate partner relations)
I am formally trained in the work of foremost relationship experts, Dr. John Gottman and Sue Johnson. I have co-edited, copywritten, and/or consulted on the following books on relationships:
- If This is Love, Why Am I Unhappy? The 3 Keys to Having the Relationship You Want by Scott Kudia, Ph.D
- Emergent Thinking by Mel Schwartz, LCSW
- The Art of Intimacy, the Pleasure of Passion by Mel Schwartz, LCSW
A family is an ever-evolving sphere…rooted in habit. You might have experienced a shift in your family, may be made apparent by the recent behaviors of one family member, creating a rippling effect. Or maybe silence exists in some places, while fragile emotion lays in others. Have you experienced a recent change to your family system by way of a marriage, divorce, death, or life-transition (adolescence, adoption, pregnancy issues, financial change, career change, loss, terminal illness, trauma, substance abuse, mental illness, life stage change (empty-nester, retirement, blended family))?
My Formal Training in Family Systems Theory Includes Training in the Work of the Foremost Experts: Salvador Minuchin, Murray Bowen, James Framo, Carl Whittaker, and Virginia Satir.
I have conducted family therapy pre- and post-divorce, death, career changes, pregnancy, interrupted psychosocial growth in children and teens, family crisis, foster children, and behavioral interruptions (substance abuse, eating disorders, academic faltering, conduct disorder, legal issues, more).
My Clinical Experience:
I have clinical experience through my work at the following places and institutions:
- Turning Point Center for Families (Non-Profit Agency) – Santa Ana, CA
- Hope House (Residential Treatment for Substance Abuse) - Orange, CA
- Vista View Middle School On-Site School Counselor – Fountain Valley, CA
- McFadden Intermediate Substance Abuse Counselor – Santa Ana, CA
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists
- California Association for Marriage and Family Therapists
- Psi Chi, The National Honors Society in Psychology
- Individual Psychotherapy (Adults, Teens, and Children)
- Couples Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
Individual sessions (45 minutes (one therapeutic hour)
Couples and Family (60-75 minutes)
Group Therapy (75 minutes)
Current Groups Include:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Support Group for Parents and Families
- SIDS and Vaccine-Reaction Support Group for Parents
- Grief Group - Adults
- Grief Group - Teens
- Eating Disorder Support & Education Group for Parents
- Substance Abuse
- Education Group for Teens
- Support Groups for Parents of a Child Abusing Substances
- Internet Safety for Children - Parents Group
- Bulling & Cyber-Bullying:
- Support Group for Children & Teens
- Support Group for Parents
- Pre-Marital Group (Group of 3-5 couples Preparing for Marriage)
- Anger Management Group
Forms of Payment Accepted:Cash, Check, Credit Card, and PayPal
12-Week Pre-Marital Therapy Program
Dr. Lori has structured a 12-week and 8-week private and group therapy program for couples preparing for marriage. Pre-marital counseling is an integral part of preparing for life together past the wedding day. A certificate is granted upon completion of the 12-week program. Assessments are given to locate strengths and weaknesses, and find solutions for compatibility in all applicable areas of marital commitment.
Assessments are based on Dr. John Gottman's empirically-tested and evidence-based treatments for couples known as Gottman Couples Therapy, a heralded technique amongst marriage & family therapy professionals.
Formal Assessment of the Following Are Offered:
- Child & Adult Depression
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Consult
- Conduct Disorder and Oppositional Defiant Disorder in Children and Teens
- Internalization and Externalization in Children, Teens, and Adults
*Assessments are offered as an adjunct to sessions and are of additional cost. Ask for more information.